Monday, April 23, 2012

Oh... The Learning Curve

Hi Folks,

Its Day 10 on the PCT. Last night I headed up 2 miles from Idyllwild, CA. I ditched my food here in town and planned to stay the night up on the ridge and then hike South for 27 miles then hitch back to town. This is what thru hikers call slack packing where you can carry less and hike more. (In theory) I cowboy camped up on the ridge with an amazing sunset and beautiful views to Palm Springs, CA. I woke up and tried to find the trail amongst tons of snow. There were bootprints everywhere and I couldn't find the trail. I was not lost, but time went by and I knew I couldn't make all the miles with very little food so I turned around and went right back to town. So now I am chillin' in Idyllwild, CA. It's a very cute mountain town that is crazy busy on the weekends and like a ghost town during the week. I learned a few things from yesterday. 1. My navigation skills are well... lacking. Yes, that's a good word for it. 2. I like sleeping outside my tent. Cowboy camping is the way to go. Easy clean up, no tent stakes, and I like looking at the stars. 3. I prefer hiking with a buddy, but I am comfortable alone. I met an amazing hiker named Eric who yo-yo'd the PCT in a single season. That means he hiked From Mexico to Canada and back. He's only the second person to do that. He helped me out with some of my gear and I have since mailed some things home. Meeting someone like that is incredible. Sometimes you meet super athletes. He's like the Michael Jordan of thru hiking. Oh yes- he's thru hiked the PCT ten times. You could say that he IS the PCT. Anyway, what a pleasure. I am heading up the ridge again in the morning with Alaska who's another thru hiker who works as a cameraman for Deadliest Catch on the Discovery channel. I am doing two days of 15 miles per day. (Shorter that I like, but hey he's got a GPS and I have nice food so there you go.) Then I will hitch back to Idyllwild and then spen one more night here and then hike north. Big Bear in one week from now. I am having fun and everyday has new challenges, new people, and new friends. I think the key word is: Flexability.

Love, Gourmet

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome so far. Dang, could have lonaed you my GPS for the trip but I can tell you prefer to do it the old school method, wandering around aimlessly creating adventure along the way. Safe travels. -Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gourmet! Just Kidding here. Stumbled upon your blog and happy to hear you're enjoying the trail. I live just below the PCT in Palm Desert, CA. Was wondering if you would hitch down to the Kick-Off at Lake Morena this weekend? It doesn't look like you've planned on it from your spreadsheet. My group and I, just did section A beginning on April 6th and had a blast. Enjoy the ride and I hope to meet cha one day!

    -Just Kidding

    ReplyDelete