Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kennedy Meadows

It has been a while since I updated this blog. This last section of trail has been very challenging with very little phone service and no internet at all. I am at Kennedy Meadows and the doorstep to the High Sierra. They say this is not only the most beautiful section of trail on the PCT, but Backpacker Magazine calls the John Muir Trail "The most beautiful trail in the world" Everyone here is super excited for this amazing section.

 I am staying at trail angel Tom Figeroa's place which can accommodate almost 50 hikers at a time. We are finally out of the desert. Three nights ago we were in the Mojave with 65 mph winds. My tent blew over four times and I ended up using it as a bivy just trying to get through the night. It snowed on me too. I was miserable. Yes, it can snow in the Mojave desert. Go figure. The following days have been magical reuniting with other hikers, and lots of trail magic mostly involving trail angels bringing soft drinks and beer to trail heads for the thru hikers. I feel very blessed to be around such wonderful people here. I am feeling good even considering that yesterday I did my first 30 mile day on the trail. I dreamed of being here for years, and here I am just stoked for the Sierra. I'll post some more later on.

Respect the trail, yourself, and all your relations. Love, Gourmet

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo!! Congrats... 30miles=bigday! Eager to hear more of your next few days. Cruising the Middle Fork here, getting the legs ready for more action, thinking of our buddy! Walk on!!

    ReplyDelete